Interdistrict Transfer Agreement
Interdistrict Transfer Agreement
An interdistrict transfer agreement is required when parents/guardians wish to enroll their student(s) at a school that is outside of the District in which they reside. California Education Code sections 46600-46610 permits parents/guardians to request an interdistrict transfer agreement. The fundamental basis for this provision is the signing of an agreement between Districts. Interdistrict transfer agreements must be approved by both the student's original District of residence and the District to which the student seeks to transfer to. Both Districts must approve the agreement before it becomes valid. It is within the authority of either the home district or the receiving district to revoke an interdistrict transfer agreement at any time, and for any reason for which the local Board or District Superintendent deems appropriate.
Residency requirements for the Palermo Union Elementary School District may be met by a non-district student:
- Who is placed inside school district boundaries in a regularly established licensed children's institution, or a licensed foster home or a family home, pursuant to the Welfare and Institutions Code.
- For whom an interdistrict transfer agreement has been approved.
- Whose residence is located within the boundaries of the District and whose parent/legal guardian is relieved of responsibility, control and authority through emancipation.
- Whose parent/legal guardian has established the residence of the student in a properly licensed home located within the District's boundaries.
- Who is residing in a state hospital located within the boundaries of the District.
- Who is elementary school age and one or both of his/her parents/legal guardians is employed within the boundaries of the District.
The District Superintendent or designee may approve an interdistrict transfer request by a non-district student(s) for any of the following reasons:
- To meet the child care needs of a student–such students may be allowed to continue to attend District schools only as long as they continue to use a child care provider within District boundaries.
- When a student has a sibling attending school in the receiving District, to avoid splitting the family's attendance.
- To allow a student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the District during that year.
- To allow a student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary, junior, or senior high school.
- When a parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the District in the immediate future, and would like the student to start the year in the District.
- When a student will be living out of the District for one year or less.
- When recommended by the School Attendance Review Board of by county child welfare, probation, or social service agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community disruptions which make it inadvisable for a student to attend the school of residence.
- When there is valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the District of residence.
- To provide a change in school environment for reasons of personal and/or social adjustment.
SUBMITTING INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS
Scan and email to: Rebecca Harvey at email@example.com
In person/mail: 7390 Bulldog Way, Palermo, CA 95968
Fax: (530) 532-1047
Processing may be delayed if forms are filled out incorrectly or print is not legible. A parent/guardian's failure to meet any timelines established by Palermo Union Elementary School District is deemed an abandonment of the request for transfer.
TIMELINE FOR PROCESSING INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS
Palermo Union Elementary School District typically begins accepting and processing interdistrict transfer requests in December and January for the subsequent school year. Once an interdistrict transfer request has been submitted, Palermo Union Elementary School District will:
- Notify the parent/guardian submitting a current year request of its final decision within 30 calendar days from the date the request was received.
- Notify the parent/guardian submitting a future request of its final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the start of instruction in the school year for which the interdistrict transfer request is sought.
- Current Year Request – An interdistrict transfer request received starting 15 days before school begins for the school year. [Education Code § 46600.1(c)]
- Future Year Request – A request received up until 15 days before school begins for the school year. [Education Code § 46600.1(e)]
DENIAL OF AN INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER REQUEST
The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance agreements if school facilitites are overcrowded at the relevant grade level or based on other considerations that are not arbitrary. However, once a student is admitted, the District may not deny him/her continued attendance because of overcrowded facilities at the relevant grade level.
Within 30 days of a request for an interdistrict agreement, the Superintendent or designee shall notify the parent/guardians of a student who is denied interdistrict attendance regarding the process for appeal to the County Board of Education as specified in Education Code § 46601.
- Parent Resources
- Staff Resources