Administration of Medications

The California Education Code states that any student who is required to take medication prescribed by a physician during the regular school day, may be assisted by the school nurse or other designated school personnel if the district receives: (1.) a written statement from the physician detailing the method, amount and time schedules that the medication is to be taken and (2.) a written statement from the student’s parent/guardian authorizing the school district to administer the medication. (E.C. 49422, 49423)
Prescription medications must be in the original pharmacy container with the original prescription label adhered to the container. Students may carry and self-administer prescription auto-injectable epinephrine and asthma inhalers if certain requirements are met.
No other prescription or over-the-counter medications, vitamins, herbs, or alternative medications may be carried by students on their person, in a backpack or other container except as indicated above and with the express knowledge and per-mission of the school nurse. Limited over-the-counter medications may be available at some school sites and can be given only by a credentialed school nurse or trained health technician with parent/guardian consent on file.

Contact the school nurse if you have questions. Forms for medication administration are available at your child’s school or by clicking the link below.
Administration of Medication

Medical Request for Special Meals


Medical Independent Study (MIS) and Home Hospital Instruction (HHI) are limited programs available to students who are temporarily disabled by a serious injury or illness which results in absence from school for more than six consecutive weeks or are unable to attend their home school full time. See the linked documents below for MIS/HHI program details.

Home Hospital Medical Verification Form
Home Medical Authorization to Exchange Information Form
Home Medical Parent Request Form